Photography Courses

Do you love taking snaps and know your way around a camera? If you answered “YES” to both questions, this guide is for you!

It will show you what your options are when it comes to studying photography; whether you want to be a fashion photographer, a sports photographer or many of the other amazing career opportunities available for photographers once your course is complete.

If you have any questions after reading our guide, book an appointment online with our friendly international student counselling team.

Working as a Photographer in Australia

Becoming a photographer is a terrific way to work your own hours, meet interesting people and have a creative, rewarding career with lots of freedom.

Many photographers choose to start their own freelance businesses when they finish studying because there is always such a high demand for photographers, especially when it comes to events like weddings, birthdays, and other special occasions. People love having their memories captured to ensure they last a lifetime.

Alternatively, digital and advertising agencies are also always looking to employ photographers as their client-bases and workloads increase. Usually involving salaries, such roles are typically high paying and provide immense learning experiences for those looking to get into these exciting industries.

Like the saying goes: “a picture is worth a thousand words”, and because of this, the field of photography will always have a place in our culture and in the marketplace. The industry will always be thriving!

Here are just some of the most common employment outcomes for when you complete a photography course:

  • Fashion photographer
  • Landscape photographer
  • News photographer
  • Portrait photographer
  • Technical photographer
  • Sports photographer
  • Photographic artist
  • Digital photographer

These are all awesome career options, but the sky really is the limit once you complete your course!

Pathways to Permanent Residency for Photographers

Studying a photography course in Australia is a great way to build a pathway to permanent residency.

Check out the detailed VETASSESS skill assessment process below:

Step 1. Determine the occupation that you wish to be assessed for and select the appropriate visa with the necessary skills. The ANZSCO code for the photographer occupation is 211311. Information about each visa can be found further down in this guide. For more on other occupations available for migration to Australia and different visa categories please refer to

Step 2. For information on the ANZSCO description of the photography occupation, log on to and enter the ANZSCO code 211311 for photography.

Step 3. VETASSESS is the chosen assessing authority for your occupation, refer to Nominate an Occupation for detailed information on VETASSESS assessment. The VETASSESS Skills Assessment considers the relevance of your qualifications, and employment to the nominated occupation. The qualifications assessment assesses the general educational level of the qualification in Australian terms and the relevance of the major area of study. Only a qualifications assessment is required for 485 visa purposes. An assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for permanent residency purposes.

Step 4. Navigate to the VETASSESS portal to commence or track your application. The skills assessment process will consider how relevant your qualifications are, in addition to the employment potential of photography as a selected occupation.

Step 5. Complete your application form online and ensure only high quality color scans of your documents are used. This will help speed up the application process. If you require priority processing, make sure you select this as an option.

Step 6. An assessment officer will review your application and request any further information if necessary. Once this has been finalized, you will be able to view the application online and download the outcome letter. You will not receive a posted hard copy of the outcome letter unless otherwise indicated in the postage payment section of your application.

Job Outlook for Photographers in Australia

According to the Australian Government’s Job Outlook Portal, photography as a career has a strong future growth potential, with massive growth throughout the previous 5 years (from 12,000 in 2014 to 17,100 in 2019).

Photographers spend on average 46 hours per week at work and can be found working in the areas of professional, scientific, and technical services; as well as media, the arts and recreation.

30% of photographers in Australia have completed a bachelor’s degree, and while they are spread out across Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland are the states that provide the most opportunities for employment.

Photography Degrees Available in Australia

Below we have listed some of the best photography degrees from Australian universities. If you want to check out the full range of undergraduate photography degrees, navigate to our photography course search portal.

  • Bachelor of Photography, Griffith University
  • Bachelor of Arts (Photography), Deakin University
  • Bachelor of Creative Arts (Photography), Deakin University
  • Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Photography, University of Technology Sydney
  • Bachelor of Photography, Queensland College of Art
  • Bachelor of Arts in Photography (Honours), RMIT University
  • Bachelor of Creative Media in Photography, Murdoch University

Universities Providing Photography Courses

Where should you study? Some of Australia’s top universities offering photography courses include:

Griffith University

Ranked within the top 2% of all universities in the world, Griffith University has a variety of future-focused photography courses that are created in conjunction with leaders in Australia’s photography industry, which are run by some of the best photography teachers in the country.

RMIT University

Studying at RMIT means you will be well prepared for success after you complete your photography course. A well-known international educational institute, RMIT has many thousands of students across more than 100 countries, with photography courses taught by leaders in the field to ensure students are well equipped to commence their careers.

Deakin University

Located in one of the world’s most livable cities, Deakin University is ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide and is a favorite amongst international students who wish to live and work in Australia. They value industry-based learning and innovative thinking, welcoming students from more than 100 countries. University of Technology Sydney

The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) is known for being inclusive and for supporting the economic, social, and cultural wellbeing of communities. They measure their success by the success of their students and are committed to fostering positive learning environments for international students who wish to work and study in Australia.

Queensland College of Art

The Queensland College of Art is driven by a thriving community of photographers, artists and designers looking to reach and push the limits of creative and visual norms. Students can elect to study in Brisbane at the South Bank campus, or at the new Gold Coast campus which offers state-of-the-art learning facilities and first-class teaching.

Murdoch University

Considered a world-leader with a community of global free-thinkers, Murdoch University is ranked in the Times Higher Education’s top 100 universities in the world. They are a university with updated facilities catering to international students with a focus on providing an array of opportunities for students looking to gain practical industry experience.

English Requirements for Photography Courses

English requirements for admission to university photography courses will vary depending upon the guidelines of each education institute and the course level offered. Written assessments may make up a small part of some photography courses, but most will likely be project or visual-based.

  • Bachelor of Photography, Griffith University
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.5
  • Bachelor of Arts (Photography), Deakin University
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.0
  • Bachelor of Creative Arts (Photography), Deakin University
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.0
  • Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Photography, University of Technology Sydney
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.5
  • Bachelor of Photography, Queensland College of Art
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.5
  • Bachelor of Arts in Photography (Honours), RMIT University
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.5
  • Bachelor of Creative Media in Photography, Murdoch University
    • IELTS Score Requirement: 6.0

Visas Available for Photographers

  • 190 - Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)
    • This is a permanent visa that allows you to work and study anywhere in Australia. If you are eligible, you can become an Australian citizen and sponsorship for eligible family members may be granted.
  • 482 - Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) - Short Term Stream
    • The subclass 482 visa is temporary and allows an employer to sponsor you. However, it only applies if you are a skilled worker and a suitable Australian worker cannot be found to fill a particular position. The primary purpose of this visa is to address labour shortages in Australia.
  • 407 - Training visa (subclass 407)
    • This is a training orientated visa that enables suitable applicants to partake in workplace-based occupational training activities. It is intended for those who wish to develop new skills for employment or participate in professional development programs in Australia.
  • 187 - Regional Sponsor Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
    • If you are a skilled worker, this visa lets you live and work in regional Australia is sponsorship is granted by an employer. Applicants must have worked with their employer for at least 3 years.
  • 494 - Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) (subclass 494) - Employer sponsored stream
    • Intended for employers looking to address regional labour shortages, this visa enables you to be sponsored by your employer. However, you must be under 45 years old and meet minimum standards of English.
  • 491 - Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) State or Territory nominated
    • This visa is aimed towards skilled workers who wish to stay in Australia for 5 years. It allows you to live, work and study in regional Australia, while traveling to and from Australia as many times as you wish. Applicants must be nominated by state of territory government to be successfully granted the visa.

Contact Us to find out more

Find out how ACEM can help you search for your dream course in Australia. Contact us today to get matched with the perfect degree.

Interested in studying abroad with ACEM?

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

Aceducation Migration will not share your details with others without your permission: